Friday, March 23, 2012

Feminist Crafts Rock My World

Yesterday I ran across this post about a brilliant feminist project in the US, sending knit vaginas to Congressmen to support women's reproductive rights and control over our own bodies.  In the era of Republican/Conservative misogynistic attacks on women's rights it seems powerful to use humour and style to celebrate women's anatomy, and autonomy.

http://www.happyplace.com/14939/male-congressmen-now-being-inundated-with-knit-and-crocheted-vaginas

This crafty approach to feminist politics makes me laugh and my heart sing with joy.

But I don't knit.  So, I wondered about cross stitching a vagina ...

I mashed that idea up with an interest I have had in trying some 'blackwork,' the cross stitch technique of using stitch patterns other than solid x's to create texture.  Traditionally done in black thread, but I've seen it done with other colours.

Et voila!


A little arty, a little elegant, a little funny and a little sexy. 

A lot political.

Be vigilant, be unapologetic, stand up for women's rights and reproductive freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment