Friday, March 16, 2012

Cinema Swap

The month of swaps is in full swing! 

Did I mention that after I completed my first official craft swap through www.craftster.com I was instantly addicted and signed up for four consecutive swaps?  Well, true story.

First up, the "Golden Age of Cinema Swap."  My swap partner listed a few of her favourite movies and stars and I picked two for inspiration.

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's is beautiful and iconic. 

I designed and stitched this hoop, mixing some embroidery and cross stitch techniques.  I like the simple elegrant graphic look of it (with just a dash of cute).




Next I decided I wanted to do a print of some kind, and was inspired by the gorgeous Vertigo poster for Hitchcock's classic film.

For a twist I thought the female figure should come to the fore in my version.
I made a linocut for the background, printed it in red, and then cut a stencil for the figure and painted it in black.



Here's the original poster to show my inspiration.


 
The whole package has arrived in Australia and I am anxiously awaiting my partner's creations.

My part of this swap was definitely fun and challenging.  I like that the swap structure pushes me to create things I would not normally think of or choose.

Now on to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment