Sunday, March 18, 2012

Resistance is Futile

Next up in Swapland for me was the Anything Goes Needlework Swap.  I was given my partner's questionaire, with a variety of her interests, likes and dislikes, and pinterest link.

One thing she said she liked was mystical creatures, wizards and dragons and that sort of thing.  I love dragons so made that my first theme.  I had a serious, even scary looking, dragon in mind but some google image searches (which I never tire of) yielded a simple cartoon dragon drawing that I was really taken with.  I reached into my bag of vintage fabric samples and pulled out this striped and flowers piece.  I almost chickened out on the fabric, not sure if it would just look too goofy or busy, but in the end just went for it.

I modified the dragon to make him holding a flower and tried to make it similar to one from the fabric.

In the end I am in love with this piece and it was hard to let go of it.  The fabric rocks and the flower is adorable, if I do say so myself.

Definitely encouraging me to do more embroidery.




For a second piece I went back and forth on a few ideas.  I almost did a felted hoop of an iguana but in the end couldn't resist a geeky Star Trek cross stitch.  My partner said she loves the borg, and I thought a borg cross stitch could be just the thing.  I worked off a picture of Picard as Locutus.  My developing style is not to do completely solid coverage, and I didn't have two different grays so I decided to not stitch the skin but rather add a little bit of paint.

It was a good experiement and I think the paint works well.  The end result is cool but I feel like there's something magical missing, maybe the overall piece needed to be darker. Still, you will be assimilated. :)



My partner says she loves them both and agrees that geeky is the way to go with hooplas.

No comments:

Post a Comment