Tuesday, December 11, 2012

HO HO HO

Happy Holidays!  Would you believe I actually showed some restraint and only signed up for one holiday season swap?  Well it's true.  And still I am now in a panic feeling like I have no time left to make some gifts for my friends and family.  Sigh, I love my job but it does interfere with the crafting time.

Thankfully the one holiday swap I signed up for was super fantabulous!  Which should be no surprise as it was organized by two amazing crafters who seem to attract the best crowd to their swaps, Craftsters Rackycoo and Cackle.  Swap rules were to make three items on a theme for your partner, one special item and two smaller things.

I chose my partner's great theme of the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stopmotion animated show.  My partner said her tastes and holiday decor was electic and colourful, and she liked somewhat practical items.

First I made a little altered tin with the adorable Abominable Snowman.  The tin is decoupaged with a lovely paper, inside white roving is perfect for snow, and a simple print cutout with a bit of colour added is the star.  I made a rolled paper bead for the top to slip a ribbon through so it can hang on the wall or tree.






Second, in order to feature more of the fabulous characters using pictures from the show I cut up paper towel roll into rings, and decoupaged colour print pictures on top.  For a bit of sparkle I dipped the top and bottom of each in some sparkly paint.  I think they turned out really fun and I am already making another set of napkin rings for a friend.



Finally, my major item.  I made a cross stitch, then used my very new basic sewing skills and some fun fabric to incorporate it into a pillow cover.  I used five colours for the cross stitch, and non-christmas fabric so that it was less purely christmasy but still fun and festive.  I was really happy with how it turned out (though it has some imperfections).




Three cheers for the Island of Misfit Toys, where I and all my best friends belong :)

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment