Monday, February 25, 2013

Orwell

As expected, the booklover's swap has turned out awesome.  From my partner's list of books I chose to buy and craft on Orwell's 1984, one of my alltime favourites. 

My partner said he'd love to receive wall art or hoopla, and so I jumped to cross stitch!  But these days my cross stitch thoughts turn to blackwork most of all, and I thought that it could work well with a graphic almost comic book aesthetic.

I ended up making this hoop with Room 101 at the centre, and the pattern all around made of eyes (can you tell those are eyes?) to suggest the eerie everpresent suffocating surveillance of the authoritarian state.



It's a bit odd, a bit striking, and a lot me.

I also made a bookmark (as the swap required), focused on the main characters work rewriting the news/historical record to the party line.  My cool number stamps came in handy and I like the way they look.



Now I can't wait to see what my partner made me!

2 comments: